Tuesday, March 17, 2015

My Acer Chromebook 15


I have really bought into Google's Chromebook philosophy. I do 95% of everything on the web these days, and for the other 5% I use Chrome Remote Desktop to connect back to my iMac running at home - mostly for Adobe Creative Cloud Apps, and for my Java development IDEs NetBeans and Eclipse as well as Tomcat and MySQL. That is, until my Chromebook 15. With its 4 GB of RAM and 32 GB SSD, I can now run comfortably Linux alongside ChromeOS, and that means I now do my Java web development work directly on my Chromebook.

The Chromebook 15 is hands-down the best Chromebook I've used - fast Broadwell CPU, great battery life (I get 7-9 hours depending), full HD screen, and excellent trackpad. Only the keyboard leaves me wanting a bit, but it's by no means a bad keyboard.

For my upcoming NaNoWriMo projects, I'll be using my Chromebook 15 and the app/site Notebook for planning my novel, and Google Docs for the actual novel. I may even experiment with composing chapters directly in Notebook, and then using Google Docs to put it all together when I settle on a final chapter order. With Google Docs ability to script, I might even be able to automate that easily - sounds like more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment